Essential oils are concentrated extracts obtained from different parts of plants: flowers, fruits, leaves, seeds or resins. In their composition, they house the real essence of the plant, concentrating numerous therapeutic benefits in just a few drops.
Benefits of essential oils for the skin
- Moisturising the skin: Essential oils, in combination with carrier oils, can help to effectively moisturise the skin. For example, lavender or sandalwood oil added to jojoba oil can deeply nourish the skin.
- Anti-aging properties: Many essential oils, such as rosemary, frankincense or geranium, contain powerful antioxidants that can help fight free radicals and prevent premature skin aging.
- Fight acne: Oils with antibacterial properties, such as tea tree or lavender oil, can be effective in fighting acne.
How to use essential oils for the skin
- Simply put: It’s important not to apply essential oils directly to the skin. Dilute a few drops in a carrier oil and apply the mixture to the desired area.
- In a blend: You can combine several essential oils to create a custom blend. For example, for glowing skin, combine lavender, rosemary and ylang-ylang oil.
- In care products: You can add essential oils to creams, masks or lotions. Just make sure you dilute them properly.
The most popular essential oils for skin and how to use them
- Lavender’s oil: This oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and is perfect for soothing irritated skin and healing small wounds. Can be combined with almond oil for intense moisturising.
- Tea tree oil: Known for its antibacterial properties, this oil is an ally in the fight against acne. It can be added to lotions or face tonics.
- Rosemary oil: Stimulates circulation and invigorates the skin. Great for relieving bags under the eyes or stimulating hair growth.
- Incense oil: Helps regenerate skin cells and reduce wrinkles.
Precautions and advice
- Always perform a test on a small area of skin before using an essential oil on the entire area.
- Keep essential oils out of direct sunlight and in tightly closed containers.
- Do not use essential oils during pregnancy without consulting a specialist.
In conclusion, essential oils are gifts of nature that can bring many benefits to our skin. Used correctly, they can turn your daily skincare ritual into a true beauty and relaxation therapy.
Follow me on Instagram